Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Is it January yet?

Is anyone else tired of making Christmas cards yet? I love Christmas, don't get me wrong, but I am so tired of making Christmas cards! And it's not even December yet! You know it's time to stop when you think you're making a masterpiece, then you discover it's actually butt ugly. Ugly! I got to that point yesterday, so now, I am totally done with Christmas cards.



So I got my new Cards magazine - this is totally the best card making magazine out there, I really love it. Anyway, I'm flipping through and there are tons of Christmas samples of course! It makes sense. It is November. Normal people are making their cards now. It's only crazy people like me who've been making Christmas cards since July that are getting tired of Christmas cards!


But I digress. So I'm flipping through the pages and seeing all those cards, I couldn't help but be inspired (in spite of the fact they are Christmas cards!). So I had to sit down and play. I'm also a little tired of traditional colors and designs. And since all of my Christmas stacks are over, no one is probably going to see these cards anyway, so I felt free to make funky, non-traditional cards.




You can't see it, but the "very merry" sentiment is embossed in Iridescent Ice, and the Soft Sky strip near the top is completely embossed with the Iridescent Ice as well. The recipe for this card is: River Rock card stock base, Purely Pomengranate top layer, River Rock ribbon strips, Wild Wasabi ribbon strip, white grosgrain ribbon strip, Soft Sky paper strips, Certainly Celery Prints strip, and Purely Pomengranate ribbon strip. The star is stamped with White Craft Ink and embossed with Iridescent Ice.






This card is also based on a layout from the November issue of Cards magazine. It's hard to see, but I embossed the tree and the word "joy" with iridescent ice as well. The recipe here is: Sage Shadow base, Always Artichoke top layer, Wintergreen DSP layer, rounded with corner rounder, stitched Always Artichoke ribbon from retired Ribbon Originals, tree from Season of Joy stamped with Always Artichoke on glossy white and embossed with Iridescent Ice, and "Joy" from retired Small Script stamped with White Craft ink, embossed, and punched with small oval punch. I also added a clear rhinestone brad from the Pretties kit.


Whew! I hope you enjoyed these! They're probably the last Christmas cards from me this year. Just to suit my need for a non Christmas card, I also did this one - lots of Thank Yous to go out in January...





This one is on a 5x5" white square base, 4x4" chocolate chip layer stamped with Baroque Motifs in Bashful Blue Craft Ink. The belly band is paper ribbon made from scrap strips of Pupmkin Pie and Bashful Blue. The top layer is another square of chocolate chip. I stamped the "Cherish" word that you can hardly see with Versamark, then stamped the Thank You from Short and Sweet over the top in White Craft ink. Punch the flowers with the Three Flower punch in Pumpkin Pie, stamp the dotted line in White Craft ink from the In the Spotlight hostess set, adhere with dimensionals, and all done.



What is paper ribbon you may ask? This is now my favorite thing. All you do is take any strip of paper, use a metal ruler (or any other very hard surface) and pull the paper across it, like you're curling ribbon for a present. Do this a couple of times on each side and you'll feel the paper soften. You'll also see it start to separate at the end. When that happens, gently pull the two layers apart and you're left with a very thin, very soft, fuzzy strip of paper. I like to draw on it with my white gel pen to make stitching or stripes. It's very cool, adds texture, and the best part - costs nothing more!! Use the paper you've already got on hand! LOVE this!

Okay, now for the ugly card. When I got to this one, I knew it was time to stop. This is God's way of telling me I have made enough Christmas cards. Don't laugh.



I refuse to give the recipe, because it is an affront to nature. Trust me, it's even uglier in person.

Good luck with your Christmas cards - remember, keep stamping until you get to the ugly one!




No comments: