Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Altered Clip Board



You are so going to love this! Jaron created this lovely design at SU convention this year, and my next class will be to teach my stampers how they can create their very own piece of art!

This will make a lovely addition to your holiday home (or be the perfect gift for those grandparents that don't need anything!) You can thank me later for saving you hours of head scratching, followed by days of searching through boutiques, followed by more days of hunting through every store at the mall, followed by endless hours and eyestrain wading through all those computer sites with the "perfect gift" - those hard-to-find-gifts-for people in your life will love this example of your undying love and will forever cherish your beautiful family. At least, for the next year or so!

Enough chit chat! Here are the deets...

The number one question I've been asked about this clipboard is HOW DO YOU GET THE PAPER UNDER THE CLIPS?! I have to say, I really feel that SU! should include instructions, if not a template, with all of their chipboard products. I mean, we all want to cover them, right? No one wants a plain cardboard clipboard! But no, we all have to reinvent the wheel. Let me do my best to share the joy of this clipboard with you!

First, start with regular computer paper. No sense wasting your good paper until after you have the rough draft! You have to realize that you will need to cut your paper to go around your clips. It is just so much easier that way! Plus, this triple clip board is too long for even our 12x12 designer paper to cover (14" long, in fact). So I cut three sections - one larger one for the middle, and two narrow sections for the ends. The sketch looks something like this:



I have to tell you, I absolutely hate using scissors. It doesn't matter how carefully I cut, it always looks rough and uneven. Can't stand it! So I really rely on my punches. After laying out my computer paper, cutting on the vertical dotted lines to make my sections, and using my corner rounder on the edges, I used the word window punch to make slots for the clips. Yes, that's really all the space you need. Really. The trick is to VERY GENTLY pull the clipboard away from the hardware, creating a gap to slide the paper into. One final note, you'll need to snip the narrow top of the center hole to fit that paper around the center clip. This project takes only dsp (Designer Series Paper for you newbies or non-stampers), a corner rounder and a word window punch. Then cut your coordinating card stock to make backings for the pictures, embellish with ribbon and name labels, and voila! Perfect holiday gift.
Oh, the name labels. I have 3 kids, so I decided to put a pic of each on the clipboard. You may decide to do it differently (two kids and a family pic, 3 family pics, 1 kid and 2 parents, whatever floats your boat). If you decide to label, you could stamp the names, but I didn't have the patience to pull out my stamp-a-majig after battling with loving on this clipboard, so I just printed the names on my computer and cut out ovals with my Coluzzle. I then added brads and ribbon, and popped the name labels up with dimensionals.

You can do this!

Confession time...I am completely intimidated by projects like this. To be honest, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes at convention, I never would have tried it. Some of you brave souls out there may say, Why Nicole, there's nothing difficult about this! But to me, it's downright terrifying! I felt the same way about faux metal, about cracked glass, really about anything that isn't just a plain card! But the thing is, they look so cool! And as my dear friend Kendra has taught me, there's nothing to be scared of. I am gradually learning to just dive in, try it out in the privacy of my own home (so that no one can see my spectacular failures!), and then be empowered when it turns out right! So truly, if I can do it, you can do it!

To celebrate the season, I am offering this class by mail. If you would like to experiment in the privacy of your own home, email your request with the following information to
stamp.fool@yahoo.com:

Your name
Your mailing address
Your color choices (brights from the
Dashing DSP pack, subtles from the Wintergreen DSP pack, or brights from the Cutie Pie DSP pack, subtles from the Porcelain Prints DSP pack, or regals from the Brocade DSP pack).
Name Label information

I'll send you the clipboard, step by step instructions, PRE-CUT DSP ready to adhere to your clipboard (specific prints may vary, but I'll send you papers from the pack you choose), precut coordinating card stock for the picture backgrounds, precut name labels, coordinating ribbon and hardware, and dimensionals. You can assemble with the adhesive of your choice. All this for $35, which includes priority shipping. Orders must be placed by December 9 for delivery before Christmas. If you prefer I assemble your clipboard (WIMP!), add $5 and indicate so in your email. I accept paypal, checks, and credit cards by phone or email, your kit will ship after your payment clears.

Have a great holiday!

No comments: